When i started weaning my baby on her sixth month of life, broccoli was one of the earliest foods i introduced to her. She liked the taste of it, together with some other selected vegetables and fruits of high nutritional values. I was particular about the food preparation and the ingredients. Carefully selected fruits and vegetables were either steamed, boiled or baked. no fried foods were given until she was at least 14 months and even now frying stays at the bottom of the list.
the cream of broccoli is so easy to make and it can be used as a soup or as a healthy creamy dip. It only needs four ingredients and three steps!! Yes u heard me right, only three steps; boiling-blending-cooking. Thats all. Come lets see how it is done.
Cream Of Broccoli
- Broccoli florets – 1 cup
- Cauliflower florets – 1/3 cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Full fat milk or cream – 1/2 cup or 50ml
- Cut the broccoli and the cauliflower into small florets and keep them dipped in a bowl of water with added salt for 5 minutes. This helps to clean the inaccessible areas of the florets and kills the worms in it. Carefully drain them and keep aside
- Heat water in a pan and once it starts to boil, add the florets and the two cloves of garlic cut into halves. Boil them not more than 4 minutes, and check by using a knife. If u can cut the broccoli easily then they’re done.
- Drain and let it cool but do not discard the water used for boiling. We are going to use it for blending.
- Blend using a blender or food processor and add enough water to get a smooth thin paste like consistency.
- Now, transfer them into a saucepan and keeping in low flame, add the cream or milk. I have used about 50ml of full fat milk. Mix them evenly and let the soup thicken.
- Cream of broccoli is ready to be served.
I have not added any sugar or salt as i believe limitting them helps us to create a healthier lifestyle. We become what we eat. We cannot control what we eat outside.. but definitely can modify what we prepare at home. Enjoy the dish and don’t forget to like and comment below.